PARISH HALLS AND OFFICES
IMMACULATE CONCEPTION CATHEDRAL | CATHOLIC DIOCESE OF LAKE CHARLES
LAKE CHARLES, LOUISIANA
This project included the design and construction of a new 14,000 square foot building that houses the parish offices and assembly areas for the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception in Lake Charles. The character of the building reflects the original details of the historic cathedral building (which is located across the street from this new building‘s site) using modern day materials and construction methods. The original cathedral church building, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, was designed by the architectural firm of Favrot & Livaudais and was completed in 1913. Classical details of cast stone, marble and other masonry work from the cathedral have been carefully incorporated into the design of the new building. The roof is a long-life, coated metal roof that replicates the character of the clay tile roof that is on the cathedral. All sheet metal is done in heavy gauge copper. In addition to the main assembly area in the building, the facility includes a large kitchen for meal preparation, a choir practice room, an office for the pastor, a large conference room, work spaces, miscellaneous parish offices and a hydraulic elevator. The large assembly space can be configured for multiple uses with moveable partitions. The building has been designed to be fully accessible for the handicapped and elderly.